Software Engineer Intern
Location: Boise, Idaho
Your mission at MetaGeek is to work with Software Engineers to design robust, maintainable software solutions that will delight our customers. Implement those designs swiftly, professionally and collaboratively.
Today we have our sights set on new customer segments in new markets, and we need new skills and strategies to disrupt those markets. Join an enthusiastic, customer-centric, entrepreneurial organization with a history of success. This is your opportunity to join a company you will love.
- Work with engineering team on developing unit test for modules
- Work with engineering team on developing build and test automation tools
- Assist engineering team with software defect root cause analysis
- Assist engineering team with code refactoring
- Assist software engineering team in the development of new software features
- Diagnose and fix software defects, refactor existing code
- Develop unit tests for existing software modules
- Do Stuff that Matters
- Recognize hypotheses and focuses on (in)validating them. Understand that assumptions are not facts and that all assumptions must be validated with controlled tests
- Prioritize according to importance and urgency
- Strive for minimum viable doneness, focusing on the 20% of effort that creates 80% of the value
- Practice Deliberate Action - think/say what you intend to do before action
- Limit blast radius (reduce potential worst-case impact of changes)
- Be Better
- Own your errors, analyze and learn from them
- Pursue mastery of job skills to improve your performance
- Learn new skills consistent with your current and future job responsibilities
- Have new ideas; be an innovator
- Be Open-minded; value others’ opinions as much as your own
- Don't Go It Alone
- Focus on your team before yourself
- Use knowledge of teammate strengths and weaknesses to maximize team effectiveness
- Be a catalyst for improving team effectiveness
- Proactively share relevant knowledge
- Hold teammates accountable with respectful candor
How we work
Like a great sports team, the success of the team is more important than individual success. Our teams are highly collaborative and cross-trained, and we lean on each others’ strengths to get work done. This means that sometimes you will be focused on the “job you were hired for” (see Responsibilities above), and other times you will be editing website content, or QA'ing software for release—whatever moves your team closer to success. Job descriptions here are more like contextual guidelines, and official job titles are generally ignored at MetaGeek. We care more about what you can do than what you are called.
"Geek" is in the name
We are a company of techies. We get excited about the latest iPhone, Android, Raspberry Pi, and Wi-Fi Crockpot. We shut the entire company down for Wi-Fi training. Most of the company has at least one certification related to Wi-Fi (CWTS, CWNA, or CWAP); not just the engineers and salespeople either… our CEO is a CWNA.